I’ve officially asked all of my girls to be my bridesmaids!
I’m really excited to be able to finally write this blog post, as I’ve been keeping this DIY Project a secret for at least the last month!
I knew I wanted to ask the 7 lovely ladies in my life to be my bridesmaids in a way that was special, unique, creative, and meaningful. I scoured Pinterest and wedding blogs for inspiration, and I fell in love with the idea of designing Bridesmaids Boxes: wooden cigar boxes painted in my wedding colors, personalized for each girl, filled with goodies and information about the upcoming wedding! Cute keepsakes that were very customizable and personal, and the girls could re-purpose them as jewelry boxes.
(However, I’m definitely less of an arts-and-crafts kind of girl and possess more of a techy/digital skillset, so I decided that I also wanted to create a Will You Be My Bridesmaid “Proposal” video as well!)
I started by taking a shopping trip to Michael’s and hunting for boxes in a workable size.
I painted the front of these wooden cigar boxes a light blush pink that matches the main color from my wedding palette. Then, I finished off the sides and insides of the boxes in shimmery metallic gold.
Next, I painted different wood cutout lettering and embellishments with either the same pink or metallic gold paint and glued them to the front of the box .
Just in case it wasn’t obvious – the letters represent the first letter of each girls’ name!
Since I KNOW I cannot write attractively by hand to save my life, I used gold stickers to spell out “Will You Be My Bridesmaid” on the inside cover of each box. I painted some pretty floral wood embellishments I came across while shopping and glued those under the lettering.
INSIDE EACH BOX:
- Photos of myself and the bridesmaid
- Information about the wedding, bridesmaid role, dresses, other girls
- Fabric color samples of shades of pink for the bridesmaids dresses
- Bridesmaid/Maid of Honor pin
- Pink nail polish (shade is called “Aisle Be There” by Sally Hansen), with a tag: “Because you deserve to be pampered”
- Jelly Belly jellybeans in our wedding colors, with a tag: “Because love is sweet”
- A compact mirror, with a tag: “Because you should see how beautiful you are every day”
THE DETAILS CARDS:
To view the Bridesmaids video that was referenced on the “My Girls” card, click here.
- Wooden Cigar Boxes (Michael’s)
- Acrylic Paint in my wedding colors (Michael’s)
- Wooden cutout embellishments, florals and lettering (you guessed it – Michael’s)
- 4 different pink fabric samples (Fabric Land, cut into 7″ x 7″ squares with pinking shears)
- Brown lace/burlap/ribbon (Michael’s)
- Nail Polish (Sally Hansen, “Aisle Be There”) – Shoppers Drug Mart
- Cosmetic Mirrors – Shoppers Drug Mart
- Assorted JellyBelly jellybeans in my wedding colors – The Gummy Boutique
- Individual Candy Bags & Ribbons – Michael’s
- Maid of Honor / Bridesmaids Pins – Dollarama
- Pink sparkly safety pin clips – Michael’s
- Pretty pink printed paper, 8.5 x 10 individual textured sheets – Michael’s
- Pinking shears – Fabric Land
- Elmer’s Wood Glue – Michael’s
OTHER COOL IDEAS:
- Mini champagne bottles, or other mini liquor bottles
- Macarons or other fancy small desserts (for the “Love is Sweet”)
- Personalized hand-written cards in place of the video greeting
- Other pampering goodies, such as face masks or nail files
- If you want to use the nail polish idea, here is a great link to list of names of other wedding-related nail polishes