These stuffed peppers are colorful, fun to make, low-carb, and packed full of protein from the extra-lean ground chicken breast! You can also use lean ground turkey,I used Buffalo sauce and seasonings such as cayenne pepper and garlic powder to flavor the stuffing mixture, but you could adjust the flavors to your liking! I ate two stuffed pepper halves (one full pepper) with a side salad and was full and satisfied, so this is a great filling meal that is nutritious and low-calorie.
If you choose to add ingredients or adjust the seasonings, let me know what you swapped and how it turned out!
- 3 large bell peppers, colors of your choice
- 1 lb extra-lean ground chicken
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup chopped baby spinach
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes (no salt added/low sodium)
- 1/6 cup shredded Italian cheese
- 2 large sliced Jalapeno Havarti (or cheese of your choice, sliced)
- Seasonings of your choice (I used cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and a few tbsp of Frank's Buffalo sauce)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut peppers in half, remove stems and seeds and top
- Lightly coat peppers with cooking spray (olive oil preferred) and place on baking dish
- Roast 20-25 minutes until cooked
- While peppers are roasting, cook ground chicken and mix in a bowl with corn, tomatoes, garlic, spinach, and seasonings of your choice. Stir in shredded cheese when peppers only have a few minutes left in the oven.
- When peppers are ready, fill peppers with meat/veggies/cheese mixture and bake for 10-15 minutes
- Top with the sliced cheese when finished and broil on high until golden (keep a close eye during broiling to avoid burning!)
182 calories, 6 grams carbs, 2 grams fiber, 17 grams protein, 10 grams fat, 14% daily calcium intake