I have a newly-found love relationship with extra-lean ground chicken and turkey meat. (Perhaps, I might love the chicken just a little bit more, as I find the turkey can dry out more easily).
They’re packed full of protein, low calorie, and incredibly versatile. Anything you can make with ground beef or ground pork, you can make with ground chicken or turkey. I love it in meatballs (see this recipe), in place of ground beef in salads or chili, and now, in these delicious chicken patties.
I added baby spinach and sundried tomatoes into the chicken patty mix to sneak in some veggies. We bought a new bottle of Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Sauce this grocery trip (we LOVE spicy around here), so I mixed it with a bit of light Miracle Whip and garlic powder to create a zesty, spicy Buffalo sauce to top the burgers with. The result? My boyfriend took one bite and with his mouth full, murmured a very enthusiastic “Mmmmmmmm!!”
Give these burgers a try and let me know what you think! I bet you’ll love swapping out ground red meats for white meats too.
- Chicken Burger Patty:
- 1 lb extra lean ground chicken
- 0.5 cup shredded baby spinach
- 3 tbsp minced sundried tomato (not packed in oil)
- 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup Italian-seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese, your choice
- 0.5 tsp garlic powder
- Burger Bun:
- 5 Weight Watchers multigrain thin sandwich buns (100 calorie buns)
- Top with small handful baby spinach leaves
- Buffalo Sauce
- 5 tbsp light Miracle Whip
- Mix with 1 tsp or more Frank's buffalo sauce (to taste)
- Dash of garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Spray baking sheet with olive oil (or other non-stick) cooking spray
- Mix the ground chicken meat, bread crumbs, spinach, sundried tomatoes, garlic powder and egg white in a large bowl, combining evenly
- Form 5 burger patties with hands and place on baking sheet
- Bake for 25 minutes in oven, flipping over halfway through
- Take out of oven and top with shredded cheese
- Place back in oven for an additional 5-10 minutes and bake until golden brown and cooked throughout
- Top bottom-halves of multigrain thins with baby spinach leaves
- Spread top-halves of multigrain thins with 1 tbsp buffalo sauce
- Place chicken patties between multigrain thins tops and bottoms and enjoy!
Nutritional Information, per serving (1 burger with sauce): Calories: 291, Protein: 27 grams, Carbs: 31 grams, Fiber: 6 grams, Fat: 9 grams, Sugar: 6 grams